CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 9, 2009

Countdown to Valentine's Day...

Aye, aye, aye. In case anyone hasn't noticed all the aisles of red packages of candy and all the heart ballons in the front of every drug store and market, Valentine's Day is this Saturday. The pressure...or sometimes it sucks to not have the pressure too though, right? This year, I actually have a Valentine, but I've had many, many Valentine-less years. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had a Valentine. V-day never really bothered me when I was single. I would do something little for a friend or two and that's pretty much it. And when it comes down to it, you should appreciate the love of your life everyday, not just Valentine's Day.
Instead of the usual dinner or flowers (which I think is more of a pressure thing), I think ballroom dancing lessons would be cool. They also make a fantastic wedding gift. I just called the Arthur Murray Dance School in Sherman Oaks. They're running a special, but you have to purchase it before the 14th. For $148 (instead of their normal price of $182), you can get a great lesson package. You get 1 intro class (which is only 30 minutes so you can immediately go into one of the classes), 1 private lesson, 1 group lesson and 1 practice party. These classes are good for 2 people. So if you and a friend have been wanting to learn on your own, this is something you want to take advantage of as well. It's a deal if you have the cash to spare. For what you'd be paying for a Vday dinner, you get to go 3 times instead of just once.


If you're on a tight budget, don't fear. There's an alternative. My boyfriend once took me for dinner at a place called Monsoon in Santa Monica/3rd St Promenade. It's a very decorated place like you just walked into Bali. The whole place is tiki'd out with bamboo and masks. You're in a whole different world. Adult Disneyland, Junglebook or Jungle Cruise feel. You'll forget you're on 3rd Street. Sushi was pretty good and inexpensive, especially if you go during happy hour. They have a great happy hour from 4pm-7pm EVERYDAY. On Saturday nights (and don't forget Vday is on a Saturday-sarcasm), they have Salsa night upstairs in the back of the restaurant.

Cover charge is $12 (but only $6 if you eat dinner at Monsoon. Just show them your receipt).They have FREE salsa lessons!! Well, technically not because you have to pay the $12 cover. Beginners class starts at 7:30pm; intermediate at 8:30pm. We didn't go in, but I definitely want to make my way there. The music was awesome! Live band begins playing at 10pm. I think this is what I'm going to tell him I want to do. Maybe some friends will go too. Get a group of friends to go. You'll all have a blast! Both your heart and soul will appreciate it too!!! So put your dancing outfit and shoes on and Salsa!
Hasta Luego,
Dear LA Concierge